Please review all instructions and collection kit components before starting your sample collection. DO NOT discontinue taking prescription medications unless directed by your physician.
Specimen Collection Instructions by Test
Paper copies of collection instructions are provided inside all collection kit boxes. You may alternately use the dropdown button below to view or download US Collection Instructions (PDFs) of tests offered by Diagnostic Solutions Laboratory. Your selection will open in a new window. Please choose carefully as OMX has two different set of instructions depending on the test chosen by your provider.
Quick Access to GI-MAP Collection Instructions
Instructions for GI-MAP or other stool collections are provided below as a convenience for those who don't want to download the PDF.
Kit Components US
- 1 – Kit box
- 1 – Test Request Form
- 1 – Collection Tray
- 1 – Specimen Vial*
- 2 – Gloves
- 1 – Zip Closure Specimen Bag
- 1 – Absorbent Material
- 1 – FedEx Clinical Pak Mailer
If you are missing any of the needed components or have questions about the collection please call the Diagnostic Solutions Lab Customer Services department at 877-485-5336.
*Avoid contact with skin and eyes to the specimen vial fluid. If you do get fluid in your eyes, flush eyes with water for 15 minutes. If your skin comes in contact wash with soap and water. If ingested please contact a physician.
Step by Step Stool Collection Instructions
NOTE: Please review all instructions and collection kit components before starting your sample collection. DO NOT discontinue taking prescription medications unless directed by your physician.
Step 1 – Write the Patient Name, Date of Birth, and Collection Date on theSpecimen Vial.
Step 2 – If possible, void urine prior to collecting stool to avoid mixing it with your stool sample. Put gloves on and pass stool into provided Collection Tray.
Step 3 – Using the spoon attached to the cap of the specimen vial, spoon stool from multiple areas of the sample (ie., from at least 4 areas going left to right) into the vial.
Fill vial to ABOVE THE FILL LINE indicated on the label. Don't overfill. The cap should close without spillover. Failure to add sufficient sample may result in the laboratory not being able to process the sample. DO NOT DISCARD THE PINK LIQUID IN THE SPECIMEN VIAL.
Step 4 – Carefully mix stool and fluid with the spoon (attached to the cap). Replace cap tightly and shake vial vigorously for 30 seconds.
Step 5 – A) Fill out the Test Request Form completely and place form into the document holder of the Specimen Bag.
NOTE: Be sure to write the date of sample collection on the form. Payment type must be completed and payment included to process sample.
B) Place capped Specimen Vial containing the collected stool sample into the Specimen Bag along with Absorbent Pad and seal the bag.
C) Place the Specimen Bag with the collected sample and Test Request Form into the Kit Box.
D) Ship completed Kit Box back to Diagnostic Solutions Laboratory using the FedEx Clinical Pak Mailer provided. Please make note of tracking numbers when shipping your package. See shipping instructions below.**
**Stool sample must be received within 6 days of collection. If you cannot ship the specimen on the day of collection, please refrigerate and ship as soon as possible, preferably within 3 days.
Stool Collection Instructions (PDF)
Stool Specimen Shipping Instructions
Specimens may be shipped Monday through Friday. The lab receives specimens 5 days a week. We only require that the specimen be received within 6 days after collection.
Before shipping be sure that the capped Specimen Vial is tightly secured, and the Test Request Form are labeled and completely filled out including payment. Be sure the Sample Vial is sealed in the Zip Closure Specimen Bag and that the Test Request Form are in the Kit box.
US – Call FedEx at 1-800-463-3339 to Schedule Your Pickup
- When the automated greeting begins say, “Schedule a pickup.”
- When asked if your label has the word “Stamp” on it, say, “Yes.”
- Your tracking number can be found on the Return Label.
Canada and US Territories
- Complete the name, address, phone number, and signature sections on the 3 commercial invoices and waybill.
- Place the completed invoices and waybill in the clear pouch and affix pouch to the front of the clinical pak.
- Call FedEx at 1-800-463-3339 to schedule your pickup. When the automated greeting begins say, “Schedule a pickup.”
- When asked if you are shipping a package say, “Yes.”
- Let them know you are shipping using an International Waybill.
- Complete the name, address, phone number, and signature sections on the 3 commercial invoices.
- Place the completed invoices in the clear pouch and affix pouch to the front of the clinical pak.
- Take the clinical pak to a FedEx (or carrier of your choice) location to ship the package.